Entrepreneurship business plan competition
HavaStartup is an annual competition organized by ASU@Lake Havasu in collaboration with the Lake Havasu Area Chamber of Commerce and Better Business Bureau. The competition is organized to provide promising entrepreneurs a chance to develop their innovative business ideas into a commercial venture.
The goal of HavaStartup 2020–21 is to find innovative, sustainable and ingenious business ideas that can be turned into potential entrepreneurial ventures. This will result in economic development in Lake Havasu City, encouraging and supporting local entrepreneurs and their businesses.
Who can enter the competition?
Eligible participants are students, alumni, working professionals, and aspiring entrepreneurs with a business plan. The business plan can be for commercial (financial returns) or nonprofit (social change) purposes and the focus can be any innovative idea from any industry (product or service). Participants and team members should have a meaningful role in the venture and competition.
- Team: 1-6 members.
- Ventures cannot be a buyout, an expansion of an existing company, a real estate syndication, a tax shelter, a franchise, a licensing agreement for distribution in a different geographical area, or a spin-off from an existing corporation.
- Anyone, from students to working professionals across Lake Havasu City with a new idea, prototype, product, or service can participate.
- Participants should be 18 years of age. Exceptions can be made based on the uniqueness of the business proposal as decided by the committee.
- Contestants who participated in a previous year are not eligible to compete again with the same concept
- Business ideas must be original work that you will be fully able to disclose
|Oct. 14, 2020||Registration opens (Submission of Business Summary)|
|Information Session (Zoom): https://asu.zoom.us/j/94371253092|
|Oct 28, 2020||Online Workshop (Zoom): https://asu.zoom.us/j/96270161714|
|Nov. 4, 2020||Registration closes (Submission of Business Summary)|
|Nov. 16, 2020||Initial proposals and applications reviewed by judges|
|No. 19, 2020||Announcement of selected participants|
|Mentors assigned to selected teams|
|Feb. 11, 2021||Developed Business Plan submission deadline|
|March 4, 2021||Developed Business Plan Presentation, selection of winners, and award ceremony at ASU@Lake Havasu|
|March 31, 2021||HavaStartup review and feedback deadline|
The virtual Information Session open to the public will include competition eligibility, guidelines, mentoring and volunteering opportunities, and a question and answer discussion.
Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2020
Time: 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Location: Virtual via Zoom
Contestants are required to participate in an online workshop to develop skills and learn about the tools used to develop an effective business plan.
Topic: Developing an Effective Business Plan
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 2020
Time: 5:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Location: Virtual via Zoom
Developed Business Plan Presentation and Award Ceremony
After the registration period is over, teams for the second stage of the competition will be selected. These team entries will be paired with mentors, professionals with a variety of backgrounds and expertise who will evaluate the feasibility and viability of the proposed business idea. Mentors will be assigned based on the nature of submitted proposals and identified focus areas.
The mentors will provide feedback to participants to further develop business models and the final business plan.
Participants are encouraged to make good use of the mentoring process to assist with crafting a fine-tuned business plan proposal.
Advisory board and steering committee members
- Dr. Carla Harcleroad, Executive Director, ASU@Lake Havasu
- Dr. Leepsa Nabaghan Madhabika, Volunteer & Coordinator, HavaStartup 2020-21
- Lisa Krueger, President and CEO, Lake Havasu Area Chamber of Commerce
- Kryistyna Hook, Director of Media Relations, Better Business Bureau Serving the Pacific Southwest
- Kenan Kruse, Systems Support Specialist, ASU@Lake Havasu
- Kimberley Rome, Community Outreach Specialist, ASU@Lake Havasu